[happy birthday]

Last Saturday, April 16th, my Aunt Lesley would have turned forty-nine.

Lesley passed away last January from complications with pneumonia, leaving behind my five-year-old cousin Sarah, and our family stunned with grief.  Her death was one of the most difficult things that my family has ever endured, and still endures every passing day without her here. I wish I could say that I understood what the Lord's plan is with this loss, and why He would choose to take away Sarah's mom from her at such a young age.  I know that my grief in this is nowhere near my grandparents suffering the loss of a child, or my mom and her sibling's loss of their little sister, but through it all, I hold fast that He who promised is faithful.

"This is my comfort in my affliction, that Your promise gives me life." 
-Psalm 119:50

Last year for Lesley's birthday, I drew this from a photograph of her when she was a little girl.  Happy Birthday Aunt Lesley, we love you and miss you so much.

Lesley - graphite on paper